Download the New application
Pay attention to the following particulars, when filling 10, 11, 21 and 22 of the Police Clearance Certificate Request Application.
10. Write the name exactly as it appears on the National Identity Card in English capital letters.
- Please consider that the Police Clearance Certificates can only be obtained for the name on the National Identity Card.
11. If you use a different name in the passport other than the one in the National Identity Card, complete the section ‘Applicant’s Name in full as appear in the Passport’ using that name.
21. Should only mention the time period remained in Sri Lanka. (Except the time spent abroad)
- Should mention the time periods correctly (Date/ Month/ Year)
- Should correctly mention the respective addresses and police areas of the residences occupied
Furnishing the above particulars correctly will help issue the clearance certificate within 14 working days.
22. If only the applicant requesting for the Clearance Certificate is abroad, the application completed by the applicant putting the signature as appearing on the passport should be obtained by post and a relative mentioned under No. 22 may submit the application to the office at Olcott Mawatha, Colombo 11.
Those who are applying through embassies/high commissions have to send 02 copies of the National Identity Card and a copy of the passport. Clearance Certificates will not be issued for the applications without those copies.
When forwarding and application to Inspector General of Police, Police Headquarters, from a foreign country that does not have a Sri Lankan Embassy, a sum of Rs. 1000/- should be deposited into the Account of Inspector General of Police bearing account number 7041413 of Taprobane Branch, Bank of Ceylon and the relevant bank slip should be forwarded along with the application.
- The following documents should be submitted along with your application.
i) National Identity Card and two clear photocopies of the NIC
ii) The valid Passport and two clear photocopies of the said passport
iii) As the certificate is sent by registered post, a self-addressed and stamped 9x4 envelope should be furnished
iv) If you require a clearance certificate for the name other than the one in the National Identity Card, you should produce the original copy of the affidavit attested by an attorney-at-law or a justice of peace (only for the applicants living abroad)
- Please consider the fact that the clearance certificates are issued by the Director Headquarters Administrator of Police Headquarters based on the background reports obtained through the investigation carried out on the applicant by the Department of Police.
- Police Clearance Reports are issued for the officers who are actively engaged in services such as Police, Three-Forces, Civil Security Force and Coastal Security Force only upon the permission of the authorized officers.
- To extend the date of issue of the certificate, a ‘RENEWAL’ application should be completed and should mention the particulars and the time periods mentioned in the initial certificate. No alteration should be made other than the address of the Ambassador/ High Commissioner.
- If you wish to carry out follow-up action with regard to the application submitted, you may make an inquiry through the following telephone numbers or visiting the Clearance Unit on the first floor of the Police Headquarters.
Telephone Number 011-2439185, 011-2421111
Fax Numbers 011-2439186, 011-2439187, 011-2439188