For a people friendly, professional, prestigious Police Service
To diminish human rights violations committed by Police officers
The Police Human Rights Division was established on 29th April 2002 with the preliminary objective of preventing human rights violations committed by Police officers when performing their routine duties and to preserve the human rights privileged by the general Public. The establishment came to light by the police gazette (II) 1304 dated 27th August 2003.
Tasks carry out by the Human Right Division
- Educate the police officers regarding the protection of human rights.
- Coordination of human rights affairs with the Human Rights Commission and Inter ministerial human rights groups.
- Bring forward necessary reports through Inspector General of Police with regard to the inquiries Made about the disappearances and abductions of people reported to the International Human Rights Council Geneva
- Register information about the human rights cases filed against Police Officers and the Human right contraventions of Police officers
- Conduct awareness programs about human rights for the general public via Police stations and register them.
- Distribution of forms delivered to the relatives of arrested personnel to all Police divisions after obtaining them from the Ministry of Defence
- Preparation and Delivery of reports to the Inspector General Of Police which are necessitate by the Government officials who participate to the discussions arranged by the International Human rights Council with regard to the complaints lodged by Hon Member of Parliaments
- Actions were taken to conduct workshops and seminars to educate Police officers about the Human rights subject on divisional and district levels. Seminars were conducted on previous years with the aid of PAFFREL together with the assistance of Attorney General’s Department and willing to conduct workshops in the year 2011 too.
- Propose to educate newly recruited officers about human right subject through scholars, with in their training time period at the Police Collage.
No 375, 4th floor, “Vilasitha Nivasa”, Havelock road, Colombo 06.
|Officer in Charge