Download the application
How to apply for a police clearance certificate
- Applications are available in the police website and at the Clearance Application Centre at No. 331, Ollcot Mawatha, Colombo 11.
- Duly filled applications are taken charged by the Application Centre on week days from 09.00 am to 04.00 pm
- It is compulsory for the applicant to be present when handing over the application. For an applicant who is unable to come personally, only his/her next of kin is authorized to handover the application on behalf of the applicant. However he/ she should be able to answer any question by the receiving officer pertaining to the information provided in the application. (Re-places of residence, duration of stay etc..)
- Applicants who are in foreign countries should submit their applications through the Sri Lanka High Commission or Consulate of the respective country. Incase there being no Sri Lanka Embassy/High Commission, fill up the application and send same with a remittance to the equivalent of Rs.1,000/= (One Thousand Sri Lanka Rupees) in respect of each application. The remittance should be drawn in favor of the Inspector General of Police, Sri Lanka. The application(s) and the remittance should be sent under registered post to the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Police Headquarters, Colombo – 01, Sri Lanka.
- Applicants handing over their applications at the Clearance application Center at No No311, Ollcot Mawatha, Colombo 11, should pay a sum of Rs. 500/= and obtain a receipt for same.
- Foreign applicants should pay a sum equivalent to Sri Lanka Rs. 1000/= at the Sri Lankan High commission in their country and obtain a receipt for same.
- Foreign applicants submitting their application individually direct to Inspector General of Police should send a draft or Cheque equivalent to the sum of Sri Lanka Rs. 1000/= to A/C No. 007041413 payable at Taprobane Branch, Bank of Ceylon, Colombo 01, Sri Lanka. The Police Clearance Certificate would be sent direct to the applicant.
Following documents should be attached with the application.
- Clear copy of National Identity Card
- Clear copy of passport
To compile a Police Clearance Certificate the Police Headquarters collects a number of reports from respective agencies.
The Police Clearance Certificate is valid for 06 months from the date of issue. Thereafter, an application could be made to obtain a renewal certificate. In such application all the details should be mentioned according to the first application (Name, Address, Period requirement, NIC number & Passport number ect…..) Other than that a copy of expired certificate should be attached with the application.
Issuance of Clearance Report
Within 21 working days after receiving the application a Police Clearance Certificate will be issued and it will be sent by registered post, but not issued by hand. Therefore, local applicants should furnish a self addressed stamped envelope, stamps to the value of Rs 30/- for registration. For the foreign applications, sent through the High Commission or Consulate Certificates will be sent through the Forging Ministry in Sri Lanka. For the applications directly directed to the IG’Police, Certificates will be sent by registered post. Applicants should send in a self addressed envelope for post
To avoid delay please pay attention to the following.
- The name of the applicant should be correctly mentioned in the application as per the National Identity Card. This is compulsory as the record check is done with the NIC number.
- The NIC number and the Date of Birth should be correctly mentioned in all the documents and should not differ. Clear copy of the National Identity Card would avoid unnecessary delay on record check.
- The details of places of residence furnished in the application should be accurate. Make sure not to furnish the periods being away from the country. (This will enable local police to furnish a correct report about you)
- The Police Clearance Certificates are addressed only to the Government Immigration Authorities which have been authorized and designated by the Foreign Ministry, Sri Lanka. Therefore, name and address of Embassy/ Immigration Service/ High Commission should be mentioned correctly.
- It is very important to furnish the contact details, like telephone numbers E-mail addresses. This would help the clearance branch to communicate with the applicant if any clarification is required.
- No photo copies, scanned copies of applications are taken charged and Applications should be signed by the applicants. No third parties are allowed to submit the applications.
- After, handing over an application no alternations could be done, and no other application could be made whilst one application is under process.
ONLY THE FEES MENTIONED ABOVE WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE SERVICE. DO NOT BE PREY TO UNSCRUPULOUS PERSONS.
Application Centre - 0112422994
OIC/ Clearance, Police Headquarters - 0112421111 – Ext : 437, 01124392185-88
ASP/ Clearance, Police Headquarters - 011242111 – Ext: 288,
Fax - 0112326022