| Download the New application
Pay attention to the following particulars when completing the questions 08, 10, 11, 12, 13, 23 and 26 in this clearance application. Complete the application entirely in English block capitals. (Eg:- BANDARA)
- Should mention the country of the Embassy/High Commission to which the Clearance Certificate is expected to be issued.
- Clearance Certificate is issued only to the Controller, Immigration and Emigration and to the address of the Ambassador/High Commissioner of foreign countries. Clearance Certificates are not issued for private institutions and actions should be taken to obtain certificates from local police stations to be produced for local institutions.
- Name should be mentioned exactly as it appears on the National Identity Card.
- Name should be mentioned exactly as it appears on the Passport.
- Should clearly mention whether the Clearance Certificate should be printed for the name appearing on the Passport or the one on the National Identity Card. If the name on the Passport has been changed, a copy of the ‘alterations’ page of the Passport should be furnished along with the application. When issuing a certificate for the name appearing on the Passport, the original copies of the affidavit attested by an attorney-at-law or justice of the peace should be furnished only if there is any discrepancy between the name in the passport and the name in the National Identity Card.
- Only the period of time the applicant remained in Sri Lanka should be entered. (Excluding the time spent abroad)
- The time periods remained in the country should be correctly mentioned. (Date/Month/Year)
- The addresses and the police areas in which the applicant lived should be correctly mentioned.
Entering the above particulars correctly will help issue the clearance certificate within 14 working days.
- Should there be a need to contact the applicant for the investigation work, a telephone number used in Sri Lanka should be mentioned.
How the clearance application can be submitted
Clearance Applications can only be submitted online, through the online clearance certificate applying method and the payment can be made using credit and debit cards. (www.police.lk / www.gov.lk)
- Those who are applying through Embassies/High Commissions should send two copies of the National Identity Card and a copy of the passport and clearance certificates will not be issued for the applications without the said copies.
- When forwarding a clearance application to the Inspector General of Police, Police Headquarters from a foreign country which does not have a Sri Lankan Embassy, a sum of Rs. 1500.00 for the said purpose, should be credited to the account of Inspector General of Police bearing No. 7041413, Taprobane Branch, Bank of Ceylon and the relevant bank slip should be forwarded along with the application.
- You should produce the following documents along with the application.
- Latest National Identity Card issued and two clear photocopies of that.
- Valid passport and two photocopies of that. (If the name has been changed, furnish a photocopy of the ‘alterations’ page of the passport.)
If a clear and valid National Identity Card and a Passport have not been furnished, the application shall be rejected without a refund of the fee.
- A correct e-mail address should be mentioned, since the applicant is informed via e-mail, if there are any issues regarding the National Identity Card or local police reports which are not getting recommended during the investigation on the application.
- Kindly consider that the Police Clearance Certificate is issued by the Director Headquarters Administration of Police Headquarters based on the background report obtained through the investigations conducted on you by the police and that it will only be forwarded by registered post to the address mentioned by the applicant.
- If the applicant is a foreigner, the number of the passport used for travelling to and from Sri Lanka should be mentioned clearly.
- Police Clearance Certificates are issued to the officers who are actively serving in Forces such as, Police, Tri-Forces, Civil Security Force, and Coast Guard only with the written permission of the authorized officers.
- In order to extend the date for which the certificate is issued, a renewal application should be completed and only the information and the period in the original certificate should be entered. Nothing should be changed other than the address of the Embassy/High Commission. (N.B.:- Application should be submitted within one year from the date of issue of the clearance certificate.)
- You may make enquiries through the following telephone numbers when you want to take follow-up action regarding the applications submitted.
- If a certain change has to be made in the application, such request should be made within two days from submitting the application and any request made afterwards shall be declined.
- In the event of submitting a clearance application having entered incomplete or false information and subsequently getting informed by an email to correct such mistakes, measures will be taken to remove the application from the system unless such mistakes are corrected within 03 months.
- When the period of residence in the police area has not been mentioned correctly in the application and police investigations mention the period of residence as a lesser period of time, you shall be informed of such via e-mail. Even in such instances, if you do not furnish correct information, actions will be taken to issue clearance reports only for the time periods recommended by the police stations.
- During the investigation carried out on the applicant, if it is revealed that there are unfavourable reports on the applicant, the certificate will be issued mentioning about it.
Telephone :- 011-2439185 / 011-2421111
Fax :- 011-2439186 / 011-2439187