| Download the New application
Pay attention to the following particulars when completing the questions 10, 11, 23 and 24 in the clearance application.
10. Write the name in English block capital letters as the name appears on the National Identity Card. (Eg: - JANAKA)
11. Should there be any discrepancy between the name in the passport and the name in the National Identity Card, when applying a clearance certificate for the name appearing in the passport, the original copy of a name affidavit signed by a justice of peace, who is also an attorney at law, should be produced.
23. Only the period of time the applicant remained in Sri Lanka should be entered. (Excluding the times spent abroad)
- The time periods remained in the country should be correctly mentioned. (Date/Month/Year)
- The addresses and the police areas in which the applicant lived should be correctly mentioned.
Furnishing the above particulars correctly will help issue the clearance certificate within 14 working days.
24. How the clearance application can be submitted
- Duly completed applications can be handed over to the office which accepts clearance applications situated at Olcott Mawatha, Colombo 11.
- Applicants who are living out of the country should complete the application themselves and the application bearing their signature can be handed over through a relative nominated as per No. 24 of the application to the office which accepts clearance applications situated at Olcott Mawatha, Colombo 11.
- Clearance applications can be submitted through the online clearance certificate applying method. www.police.lk / www.gov.lk
- Those who are applying through Embassies/High Commissions should send 2 copies of the National Identity Card and a copy of the passport and clearance certificates will not be issued for the applications without the said copies.
- When forwarding a clearance application to the Inspector General of Police, Police Headquarters from a foreign country which does not have a Sri Lankan Embassy, a sum of Rs. 1500/- should be credited to the account of Inspector General of Police bearing No. 7041413, Taprobane Branch, Bank of Ceylon and the relevant bank slip should be forwarded along with the application.
You should produce the following documents along with the application.
- National Identity Card and two clear photocopies of the NIC
- Valid passport and a clear photocopy of the passport
- Kindly consider that the clearance certificate is issued by the Director Headquarters Administration of Police Headquarters based on the background reports obtained through the investigations carried out on you by Sri Lanka Police.
- Clearance certificates are issued to the officers, who are actively serving in forces such as, Police, Tri Forces, Civil Security Committee, Coast Guards, only with the written consent of the authorized officers.
- In order to extend the date for which the certificate is issued, a renewal application should be completed and the information and the period of the original certificate should be entered. Nothing should be changed other than the address of the Embassy/High Commission. ( note:- Application should be submited within one year affter issuing previous certificate. )
- You may make enquiries regarding the application you have submitted, dialing the following telephone numbers or by visiting the Clearance Branch at First Floor, Police Headquarters.
Telephone :- 011-2439185 / 011-2421111
Fax :- 011-2439186 / 011-2439187 / 011-2439188