Services and Concessions of the Police Welfare Division are offered to the following Police Officers and their dependents.
- All ranks of Police Officers in service
- Dependent of Police Officers killed whilst on duty due to any course
- Dependent of the Police Officers missing in action due to any course
- Officers who are met with the accidents and sustaining injuries
- Officers proceeding to retirement after rendering a service to the department or retired officers
Concessions and Services granted for all Ranks of officers in Service
- Providing benefits of the Agrahara insurance Scheme
- Providing concessions by Amenities Fund
- Providing concessions of Ranaviru Seva Authority in collaboration with that Authority
- To take action to admit children to National schools on priority basis taking into consideration the performance of duties in operational areas
- To grant transfers on priority basis to the spouses of officers engaging in operational duties when giving them transfers in the public service
- To grant concessions with the assistance of Divisional Secretariats
- To grant concessions to members of Central Welfare Council and benefit scheme which are the benefits granted by that scheme and make arrangements to provide electrical appliances on hire purchase without interest
- To grant relevant benefits by triple benefit insurance scheme
- To take action to provide financial assistance and other benefits to every police officer under the rank of C. I. by "Police Families Welfare Association" and "Seva Vanitha Unit"
Concessions and Services granted to the dependants of Police officers who died as a result of any cause
- To pay compensations and monthly salaries in terms of P.A.C. 21/88, in the event of death caused due to a terrorist activities
- To pay compensations in terms of P.A.C. 22193, in the event of death whilst performing duties and due to the Duty
- To pay compensations and monthly salaries to the dependants in terms of I.G. Circular No. 1783/04 in the event of death caused as a result of atrocities committed by criminals, robbers, drug traffickers or underworld elements
- To pay compensations and monthly salaries to the dependants in terms of P.A.C. No. 44/91, in the event of death caused by election violence
- To provide allowances and concessions to the dependants of officers whose death is caused while on duty or off duty as a result of natural causes
- To provide allowances and benefits to the dependants in addition to the compensations mentioned above
- To make arrangement to hold the funerals of all late police officers with police honors
- To provide lands to the land less dependants of the officers killed as a result of terrorist activities and grant loans for the construction of houses
- To make arrangements to admit to the year 1 of the National Schools the Children of Police Officers killed as a result of terrorist activities.
Concessions and Services provided to the dependants of male/female officers disappear whilst in service whatsoever
- To take action to pay monthly salary to the dependants in terms of the Public Administration Circular No. 343 if the disappearance is due to terrorist activities
- To look into the fate of the officer and take action to pay compensation to the dependants of such officer if he has been killed or died in the custody of terrorist If the officer has disappeared as a result of non terrorist activity and if it is revealed that officer died to take action to obtain death certificate and grant the dependants relevant allowances
To make arrangements to admit to the year 1 of the National Schools the children of police officers disappeared as a result of terrorist activities
Concessions and Services provided to the male/female officers sustaining injuries caused by accidents while on duty or off duty
- If the officer sustained injuries as a result of terrorist activity to grant medical aids allowances and pay compensation on the basis of percentage of lost of earning capacity in terms of provisions stipulated in the Public Administration Circular No. 21/88
- If the officer sustaining injuries due to a terrorist attack and has to leave the service he is paid his monthly salary up to the age of 55 years and pension if he is entitled to it
- If the officer sustained injuries due to an accident while on duty, in terms of provisions stipulated in Public Administration Circular No. 22/98 to pay compensation subject to a maximum of 120 months
- To take action to pay medical aids allowance compensation and monthly salary to officers if they received injuries in consequence of atrocities committed by robbers, criminals drug traffickers or underworld elements in terms of IG's Circular No. 1783/2004
- To take action to pay medical aids allowance compensation and monthly salary to officers, if they sustained injuries while on election duty
- To take action to provide legally entitled allowances including other relief if the officer receive injuries due to an accident while he is off duty
- To provide lands to landless officers who are disabled and not in service due to terrorists activities and grant housing loans for the construction of houses and to direct them for self-employment depending on their ability
- To take action to admit children of the officers to National Schools for year one if such officers sustain injuries as a result of terrorists activities
For officers who proceed on retirement and retired officers
- To educate officers several months prior to due date of their retirements regarding the procedure to be followed to obtain their pension without delay
- To discuss problems with officers in Management Assistant Service attached to the Divisional Offices in the preparation of pensions and give them instructions to prepare pension files without any delay
- To instruct officers who retire after being the member of the Central Welfare Council and benefit scheme to enable them to obtain pension allowance on the following day of the retirement
- To regulate the payment of compassionate fund due to be granted to the retired officers
- To take action to make funeral arrangements in the event of death of retired officer on the request made by next of kin of officer, with police honors
Other Services Rendered by Police Welfare Division
- Provide opportunity for children of police officers in service to get education at Defence School, Malay Street, Colombo 02.
- Following messes have been established at the Department for the requirement of the officers in the service and such messes are under operation relating to those Ranks.
- Mess for gazetted officers.
- Mess for officers in the rank of Inspectorate
- Mess for junior officers.
As mentioned above, messes for gazetted officers have been set up at Moragolla, Kandy, Nuwara EIiya and Anuradhapura, and a mess for officers in the rank of inspectorate have been set up at Katharagama, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya,and Colombo also messes for junior officers have been set up in Colombo, Kandyand Katharagama.
In view of above facts, it is mentioned with pride that this staff is always committed to provide services rendered by police welfare division, appropriately, to officers of all ranks, to police casualties, to dependants of officers died due to various causes, to dependants of missing officers and for the officers retiring after performance of an outstanding service.